Make Recycled Paper Beads
by Meredith Brustlin, CMNH Educator
This is such an easy and fun project and is a perfect one to do during Earth Day week!
- Magazines or other scrap paper
- A glue stick
- Mod Podge or DIY Mod Podge (white glue mixed with water)
- This is optional!
- Prep this activity by cutting magazines or other scrap paper into long skinny triangles
- Cut the paper vertically to make the longest triangles possible!
- Starting with the wide end of one of your triangles, start rolling it tightly around a pencil
- Sometimes little ones need help with this beginning step!
- Keep rolling until you are about 2” from the end of the triangle--it should just be a skinny little strip left
- Cover that strip with glue and continue rolling to complete your bead
- Wiggle the bead off your pencil
- Make more beads!
- String your beads to make a necklace or bracelet.
If you’d like, when you’re finished with your beads--you can paint them with Mod Podge and let them dry. This will make your beads more secure and sturdy and also make them shiny!